DP-24 Pops and Clicks

Dennis,

That is not a typo, that is the technical wording that TASCAM used for the fix. Laymans terms for the fix would be the power processing board. Don't know a definition for power PCB.

Let us know if you decide on fixing your DP's and if the fix was the same.

Thanks very much Roundhill, I'm going to explore the fix

I spoke with Brian Qualls of the Tascam Tech support desk, he is going to contact their technical service dept regarding the power PCB solution Roundhill got from Tascam fixing his DP24 24 bit pop/click problem; Brian seeks to find out if this power PCB can be replaced by a customer (like replacing the hard drive in the 788/2488) without sending the DP to Tascam for repair. I also copied Brian on some of our Forum conversation pertaining to the pop/click issue for a reference to the historical conversation on extent of problems discussed. Glad Roundhill's DP24 pops/clicks was fixed and I hope for the same for all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I spoke with Brian Qualls he indicated my DP24 pops/clicks issue should be repaired by Tascam; Brian said he was at liberty to offer details on why/solution for the pop/clicks only that the Tascam engineer said that the fix should be done by Tascam because it may involve more than the power PCB. I had found power PCB on the TEAC site for sale for $254. Next week I will succumb to shipping my two DP24 to Tascam for the fix.

Hi,

I´ve got the DP32SD for a couple of days now, and though it´s a fantastic machine, very oldfashioned workflow that I love (sending out single tracks to DBX160a and back and that sort of thing) I think it may have some issues.

I tried several SD cards. All of them recommended on the Tascam page. When I record 24 bit I get nasty digital spikes, which seem to appear whenever I set In/Out points or copy/paste single bassdrum hits for example. This happens only during playback, the spikes are not recorded but they are full volume digital bursts that might damage my monitors (and my ears).

Also, the machine once froze completely while I was making several copy and paste edits.
I know that operations like editing would be more convenient to do on a computer, but as I am new to the DP, I want to really check out her capabilities and see how all of her functions work.
I´ve read that clicks and pos might disappear switching to 16 bit, but that is a no go for me in 2015. The machine is advertised and sold as a 24bit recorder.
The other thing is that the metronome is pretty much useless, as it sounds really annoying and has timing issues when you pile up more than around 20 tracks. Is that a known issue, or is my machine faulty?
It´s a great piece of gear though. I´ m really happy to be away from the computer as much as possible again.
Oh, one other thing: Why did they make the rotary knobs the way they did?
What´s the point in having to turn them seven times to make a full pan?

Anyway, I would like to keep the machine, would be nice if Tascam came up with a solution for SD card thing.

Thanks
andreas

andreas,

Many users have the spiking issue recording at 24 bit. It appears that faulty power processing boards were installed in these units and the only fix is to send it back for repairs. It is not an SD card issue.

Andreas, I concur with Roundhill, after I complete my current recording project within the next 7 days, I am sending my two DP24s to Tascam for repair after 6 months of discussions on crack/pops the only thing to do is have Tascam repair which is what is suggested by Tascam customer service tech Brian Qualls. The spikes/pops is a nightmare and I want the fidelity of recording 24bit, but the immediate solution is to record in 16bit. My DPs is still under the year warranty, just got to pay for shipping charges. I am sure you have read all previous posts on the matter.

Folks, if it matters (and just my 2 cents worth..) I have found that the "crackling/pops" occur on my -24 exclusively when recording at 24bit/44.1.
Although the card issue may somehow play into this...in reviewing all of the previous posts, it certainly seems as though depth may be a factor (somehow)

TASCAM R&D got a unit (DP-32SD) and a customer's project that exhibited the pop noise problem earlier this month, and has identified a firmware fix for the problem. (all DP models)
The problem is limited to 24 bit recordings, and is triggered by locating within the song (FF/REW, MARK skip). It only presents on some channels.
It is on playback only, so the recorded data should be fine.
Until TASCAM gets the updated firmware through QA and out to the world, avoid the problem by either working in 16 bit resolution, or always playing from the start of the song...

Reactions: BobV55 and Marty335
Today I shipped my two DP24's for the 24bit pop/clicks to Teac Factory Service dept; the Tascam service rep Brian Qualls says that's the way to go;previous fixed solution as told my Roundhill was by having the Power PCB board replaced. Not sure if firmware is the solution; looking forward to the return of my DP's

RedBus is a senior engineer at Tascam who only posts here when he knows what he's talking about. If he says its firmware and a fix is coming, you can bank it.

If this is really is a firmware fix why did they not update my (firmware) when it was in for repairs? They replaced the power PCB board which is a hardware issue. If it can be fixed by a firmware update, I will be pissed. Many customers complained about this issue to TASCAM directly and they wrote it off as user error or a SD card issue. They never bothered to check out these customer complaints which they could have easily done.

Dennis - keep us posted on your fix.

Roundhill I concur, especially when I had direct conversations with Brian Qualls regarding what is the caused for pop/clicks at 24 bits for the past 5 months. I could have saved $91 in shipping cost and non-access to my DP's. It's a dilemma on internal communications within a company. Redbus should update their customer tech reps to know what issue/resolutions are to avoid time-wasted. As you know Tascam had indicated that this was minor click/pop problem in which only a few folks our 50,000 DP's sold were having. Others have suggested firmware fix, but one forum member concurred with the Tascam line. My DP's are scheduled to be delivered by May 7th, hopefully the turn around fix time is only a day from Tascam. I and others had already identified the temporary fix solution was to record in 16bit. Fortunately this problem only pertained to machines, not health or politics.

TASCAM R&D got a unit (DP-32SD) and a customer's project that exhibited the pop noise problem earlier this month, and has identified a firmware fix for the problem. (all DP models)
The problem is limited to 24 bit recordings, and is triggered by locating within the song (FF/REW, MARK skip). It only presents on some channels.
It is on playback only, so the recorded data should be fine.
Until TASCAM gets the updated firmware through QA and out to the world, avoid the problem by either working in 16 bit resolution, or always playing from the start of the song...

RedBus, where the last firmware update for the DP24 was 1.14 before it was discontinued, will an update be made available for the DP24 as well as the current DP32SD, once it passes QA? Just wanted to clarify, as I'll obviously be looking for it if that's the case, so I can update my DP24. Thanks for the news!

Reactions: Blu Hopkins
great news. I will keep the machine then. while you are on it, please solve the dreadful potentiometer behaviour. :)

My frustration with this spiking issue led me to hours of experimentation. I finally discovered that if you are recording in 24bit format , the rate must be set to 48\HZ. this pretty much eliminates (but not totally) the issue. It does not occur in 16 bit mode. Seems to be a clock problem. I have had three different units, all had the same issue. So 16 bit 44HZ 24 bit 48Hz. Hope this saves some frustration.

The firmware fix is in testing. It will be for all 4 DP versions as far as know.

We only found the reason for the problem recently, so units that are currently in for repair can either be shipped back to the customer to wait, or sit here to be sure there is nothing else wrong after the firmware is released. I don't have a beta version yet to even try here.

Reactions: BobV55
The firmware fix is in testing. It will be for all 4 DP versions as far as know.

We only found the reason for the problem recently, so units that are currently in for repair can either be shipped back to the customer to wait, or sit here to be sure there is nothing else wrong after the firmware is released. I don't have a beta version yet to even try here.

Thank you very much for the good news, RedBus! Will keep an eye out for it, and install once available.

Backed up, reset factory preferences, full format on card -
I have isolated the issue, but the Why, I don't know.

The popping occurs only on Songs recorded at 24 bit AND 44.1 Mhz.
The popping only occurs when using the jog/data wheel and/or rewind and/or forward partially through the song
The popping does not occur if you STOP and return to the beginning song and play/mix without jogging
As long as you do not skip around in the song, the popping does not occur, even if it was there before
This makes sense why popping occurs in bounce mode, because you are not starting from the beginning, to make matters worse the more you jog, the more popping occurs. This is why no one could find consistency in the popping, as mixing a small part over and over only escalates the issue, leading to everyone's frustration, if they trying to mix the popping out.

I also found that the popping can hide on virtual tracks, in individual wav files, that are evidently infinitely store on the disk, even if they are recorded over.

I took a song and only copied the tracks I need back in, eliminating all hidden virtual tracks that were overdubbed to confirm that popping can hide in the virtual tracks as well. My song was rescued.

This should be addressed by TASCAM, because it is a hardware and/or disk issue when recording in this format.
Not to say that recording in that format would not be considered a "User Issue". I'm not technical enough to know.

All songs 16 bit at 44.1 Mhz - no problems
All songs 24 bit at "48" Mhz - no problems

I did have one song at 24 bit 44.1 that did not experience popping, but this song was transferred from my DP24, so that is the only reason that I can explain the anomaly. It was most likely 16 bit before it was transferred, thus no issues because the Mhz were the same.

I am fine for the time being, would appreciate some clarification from a Tech Pro or TASCAM as to WHY, but I will go forward with my findings to avoid this in the future, and will let you know if I ever disprove what I have found.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.