Model 12 tempo issue with Apple devices?

Sh33va

Dear friends,

I own a Model 12 and I`m using it with a DAW-like application "Loopy Pro" that`s running on an Apple device (iPhone/iPad). The Model 12 is connected to the Apple device through an USB Hub (nothing else is connected).

I am experiencing a "Tempo issue" when connecting the Model 12 to the iPad. If I connect Model 12 while the application is running, the tempo in the application gets distorted moving back and forth instead of progressing normally. Short video of the issue is demonstrated here:

I have researched extensively on the Loopy Pro Forums and with their technicians, and it seems a few other people also experience similar Tempo problem with the Model 12, but for most people it works fine with it.

I have personally tested this also with 3 different mixers (Allen and Health, Mackie...) and none of them are causing this issue. Furthermore I have tested this with 2 different Model 12 products... And both did cause the same problem. Strangest of all I tried this with cca ten different Apple devices and on 3 it worked without issues but on 7 the connection was causing the tempo issue. I couldn`t find any relation between those where it worked with/without issues.

Issue did not occur on: an old iPhone 6S and two iPhone 15 Pros.
Issue did occur on: iPhone 8, 2x iPhone 13, iPhone XS, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad Mini 2022, iPad 10th Gen.

I tried changing all the settings I could think of on the Model 12 including disabling all MIDI etc. but nothing seems to help

I was wondering is there anyone here that could help? Is the Model 12 known to cause any tempo/sync instability with DAW or Apple devices? Maybe there is some setting that I`m missing? I am running firmware 1.42 0099.

Any advice will be VERY appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
@Sh33va, welcome to the forum. How are you connecting the Model 12 to the Apple device (audio, USB, DIN MIDI, Bluetooth...) and for what purpose?
Please try to be as more specific as you can, details are relevant in troubleshooting.

@Max Relic, Thank you. I`ll try to be detailed.

The Apple device runs the application "Loopy Pro" which is a recording / performing application that can be used as a loop station, clip launcher, sequencer and DAW. It runs on iOS devices...

I use the Model 12 with Loopy Pro because I need to connect drums, piano, guitar and mics to the application and also need separate USB return channels (playing the loops back).

I use the application for live looping - meaning recording layers of loops of different instruments and then playing over the USB returning channels (playing back recorded loops). Some of my channels are set to "Direct" Mode (inputs) and the rest to "USB" (returns).

The way I connect the device is simple - iPad/iPhone connects directly to a USB Hub`s end. The Model 12 then connects to one of the USB Ports on that Hub. The Hub is also connected to a USB charger to keep the iPad charged (picture attached). The iPad/iPhone and the application both recognize the Mixer is connected and I can see all the channels and the name of the Model 12 in the application etc. It does work, as long as there isn`t any disturbance... like minimizing the application, switching to a different application, connecting any other gear (like MIDI keyboard) etc.... If such a thing occurs then the tempo gets messed up like in the video I posted above. The only way I can get it to work is if I connect everything upfront and then start the application. But that is very inconvenient because sometimes I need to switch between apps. And each time I do that the tempo gets distorted...

This is a video explaining in details what the application does exactly...

Attachments

• LP2.jpg
    LP2.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1
Then your use case is connecting the Model 12 as an audio interface.
As you probably know the Model 12 is a Class-compliant device, also called plug-and-play, and should work without the need of a software driver (at least on Apple and Android devices). It's able to send and receive audio and MIDI over USB, so you should be careful with the settings of the Model 12 and all the other devices which connects to it.
A quick look to the Loopy Pro manual made me think you should check if all the settings related to external clock and synchronization have been disabled; then on the Model 12 disable MIDI Timecode / Clock transmission. Let us know if these fix the issue.

P.s: The Model 12 is sensible to the quality and length of USB cables, and a lesser quality USB hub could introduce unpredictable effects. I guess you already know how to avoid bitrate and sampling rate mismatch so I didn't mention.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.