Tascam 424 mkiii questions

Tascam Kid

Gear owned
Tascam Portastudio 464
If anyone can help, thanks. This is a great looking condition 424 mkiii. It looks mint, like barely used.

1. Is it normal to see the input level for track 1 (or any of the 4 tracks) read about 6db lower than the level you see in the L/R display section of the digital panel? I guess the L/R shows the master out...the Left and Right. When I arm a mic on a channel and increase the trim it may read 0...meanwhile in the L/R section of the display it reads like +3 to +6db. Is this normal or should both level indicators show the same level?

2. Following the manual I can't get the "Monitor Level" knob to do anything. The manual suggests it will lower or raise the desired listening level. But nothing happens at all. I can hear what I recorded on each of the 4 tracks by switching all the channels to Tape. Or by leaving them at mic/line and routing the signals to Tape Cue and then using Effect 2/ Tape Cue on the channel. But the manual says the "Monitor Level" controls listening level. But it does nothing. Just wondering if there's a noob thing I'm overlooking which might be known to anyone more experienced.

Naturally, I don't rule out faults here, despite the unit looking mint and everything apparently recording and playing back fine.

Anyway, thanks if you care to chime in!

Reactions: Pierke
1. Is it normal to see the input level for track 1 (or any of the 4 tracks) read about 6db lower than the level you see in the L/R display section of the digital panel? I guess the L/R shows the master out...the Left and Right. When I arm a mic on a channel and increase the trim it may read 0...meanwhile in the L/R section of the display it reads like +3 to +6db. Is this normal or should both level indicators show the same level?

Sorry, I don't have an answer, but I have noticed the same difference in levels indications on my Tascam 488 mkII. So I'm following this thread, hoping for an answer. 🤞

Reactions: Tascam Kid
Hey I was just watching the guy from 424 Recording on Youtube and in his first video he shows a 3 or 4 minute mini tutorial of him recording a track and indeed the LR seems to show higher levels than the actual track, So maybe it is normal.

Reactions: Pierke
I'm just wondering about my "Monitor Level" knob too. It seems that to hear the Cue Mix in mono as you are putting together/ recording the tracks, you don't even need this knob since the Effect 2/ Tape Cue knob on each channel seems to be able to control the Cue level of each track. So I'm not sure that I would need that Monitor Level control. Still, I am not 100% sure I am using it right at this point since I only got the 424 recently.

Well never mind. This corner of the forum seems deader than disco. I took it to the repair shop.

Update: The Monitor Level knob is dead. Pot is bad. Had to order a replacement as part of the repair underway at the shop. Shame. Whole unit looks basically mint, everything works perfectly...but one pot is dead. Obviously Tascam don't do replacements anymore but apparently repair people can source a fit.

New threads

Members online