Model 12/16/24 Tips & Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the Model 24 OM
"Thank you very much for purchasing the TASCAM Model 24 Multitrack Live Recording Console...[a] 22 input analog mixer with 22 line and 16 mic inputs"

The Block Diagram shows that A/D-D/A conversion occurs only
  • When the incoming analog signals on channels 1~22 and internal FX are sent to the USB interface or SD card (tracks 1~22);
  • When the Main L/R bus output is sent to the SD card (tracks 23/24)
  • When the outgoing digital signals from the USB interface or SD card are returned
    • to the PC and MTR analog returns on channels 1~22;
    • to the analog FX Return and analog Main Out L/R bus Return.
The OM (pages 23, 26, and 37 in the one I referred to) descibes the meters on the Model 24:
  • Main L/R Bus Output - Shows the outgoing stereo signal level to the XLR output jacks, and before A/D conversion, to the stereo 2T Recorder (channels 23/24) .
  • Meter Screens - Show the levels of the signals being input to the unit.
    • Display Live Input - Shows the individual mic/line signal input level on each channel, and the signal level, before A/D conversion, being sent to the individual SD card MTR tracks 1~22.
    • Display MTR Return - Shows the individual channel input signal level, after D/A conversion, of songs played back from the SD card MTR tracks 1~22.
    • Display PC Return - Shows the individual channel input signal levels, after D/A conversion, played from a computer via the USB audio interface.
So the Model 24 and its meters are analog in design.

Curiosity got the better of me; I did end up flogging this to death.
And I neither own nor want one. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tracker and Rocky
... if I can do a Multi Track recording with all channels in LIVE mode, What is gained by having the channels in MTR mode?

Short answer:
Flexibility. Remember, the Model series are first and foremost Front-of-House (FOH) mixers with multitrack capability. The key is understanding how Channel Record and Transport Record work in tandem.

Simplified slightly longer answer:
The Mode selector determines the channel's input source. For "LIVE" Mode it's the mic/line circuits. For "MTR" Mode the input source depends on whether the individual channel is in "record" status. For both, the various channel engagement button combinations determine the channel routing to the MTR and the 2-Track master recorder.

Further information can be found in the Owner Manual, and in these sticky threads:
"Basic Facts" and "Tutorial/Informational Videos".

Here's two examples, typical SOP for multitrack recording and creating a stereo mix ready for mastering.

"LIVE" Mode:
*Real time 2-Track master recorder to capture the "live" FOH mix (only Transport Record engaged).

* Also record as discrete tracks on the MTR for creating a studio mix later in "MTR" Mode (Individual Channel Record engaged and Transport Record engaged).

"MTR"+"LIVE" Mode; or just "MTR" Mode
(individual Channel Record engaged/disengaged; Transport Record engaged):
*Record basic tracks to the MTR (Channel Record engaged and Transport Record engaged).

* Playback the recorded tracks in "MTR" Mode (individual Channel Record disengaged).

*Place other channels in "record" and overdub new tracks to the MTR. (Channel Record engaged and Transport Record engaged)

* "MTR" Mode in playback (all channel Record disengaged), create on the 2-Track master recorder a mastering ready stereo balance mix, add FX, EQ, etc. (Transport Record engaged)
-------
[Edited to add more clarity for others who in the future may find this thread in search of information]

Last edited:
Reactions: Max Relic
Status
Not open for further replies.

New threads

Members online