Issue with fader on a Model 16

squid23

Gear owned
Model 12
Hi,

Introduction:
I bought this console 2nd hand from one of my friend. He had used it at home on and off since 2020. It looks in perfect condition, however it made me realize that the knobs and faders were actually of less quality than on the consoles I've been using in the past. It's my first Tascam, but know of Tascam to be an innovative and reputable brand. I can only guess that having saved costs on those would have helped for this product to be affordable, so I'm taking the greatest care of it.

The problem:
The fader of channel 10 clearly has a contact issue. The input signal displays with no issue neat input trim level, however, when going through the linear potentiometer, you can hear that there is an issue with it. If you compare the fluidity of its glide, compared to the other channels that operates how they should, you would feel a tiny bit of grit through the cap that sits on the lever of it.

What I can do:
Well, I can pop the bonnet and inspect the mechanical attributes of this fader, as this console has passed the warranty period. However, I haven't found any tutorial that would help me to perform this operation so basically I totally ignore how to access the slider the easiest way. I'm experienced with electronics, at least I can help with continuity by taking care of corroded parts without a problem. It's just that I don't want to be improvising.

What I can also do but not really into:
Is to take it to the repair shop however, I have all my time at the moment as I'm on leave and would be a little frustrated to be paying $200 or more for something I can do myself with a little bit of support from this community, so I thought I'd reach out before I'd hit a wall.

I'll be also sending an email to the repair store as he has my Model 12 which had a faulty channel on it.

Thanks for your time

Before opening the Model I would try with a contact deoxidant spray, better if it's the lubricant type. This kind of product is commonly used for refreshing mixer faders, but the less the better. If it doesn't work you can go the more invasive way.

Lubricant as WD40?
Absolutely NOT!

Deoxit is a cleaner and lubricant for electronics.

WD40 will destroy electronic components. Yeah, I know the can says it can be used as a water displacement agent for car ignition systems. The can doesn't mention faders.

WD40 is a penetrating oil that is designed for penetrating into frozen mechanical joints such as nut/bolt assemblies in order to loosen them for disassembly. WD40 is not recommended as a lubricant, per se. That's why you have to keep squirting those door hinges every 60 days or so.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.