dm4800 firewire audio on Mac in Reaper issues....

Upton O’goode

Gear owned
Tascam dm-4800
I just recently updated my studio with a tascam dm4800 (a beast btw). I have successfully integrated it as a control surface. its working amazing as a general sound board. But, I can't seem to get the audio into Reaper running on my mac. I'm using usb for my control surface connection and firewire for the audio.

I have read through the manual a couple times througout. and have read the relevant chapters at least a dozen times. yet the solution remains elusive. I am sure its likely something i don't have correctly routed in the console or something i don't have properly configured in reaper. but, my freshman status with this particular console is shining brightly.

Any suggestions will be enormously appreciated. thanks all.

so far i believe i have it narrowed down to a firewire driver issue. my 4800 gives me the message of
"1394: no cable" or "1394: driver offline"
on the slot 1 tab of the digital module on the DM onboard menu.
I've yet to get my Mac to detect the firewire card in the dm.
all drivers are current.
My mac is running high sierra.

I am completely stumped at this point. any insights, ideas, or suggestions are extremely welcome.
please help.

Last edited:
Bad FW cable, bad FW card, bad FW port on the Mac. Have you tried booting the 4800 first then powering up the Mac or vice versa? Some of the 3200/4800/FW combos I worked on in the past wanted the computer up and running before the mixer was powered up. Others wanted the mixer on first. Maybe FW card Firmware versions were different. Talked to anyone at Tascam yet?

New threads

Members online

No members online now.