Dm4800 crashing System Error

LLGG

Gear owned
DM-24
My Dm4800 has started crashing after 30 minutes or so. It is not connected to anything external.
Here is the error message. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Dm4800 error 20240929_191801_resized.jpg
    Dm4800 error 20240929_191801_resized.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 5
Oh dear, nightmare, did you get anywhere with the error?

I removed the Mainboard, power supply, power distribution board, as well as others inspected them for cold solder joints. Cleaned and reseated all connectors to no avail. The longer it was powered up the more errors it was giving. The new error messages that tend to show a problem with the mainboard. I found a mainboard on Ebay. I will have it today and see if that fixes the issue. Thanks for your interest.

Good luck. I would be interested to know how you get on. Keeping these beauties running has become a top priority.

If the fault happens after 30 mins, test it.. time it, to see if that crash is consistent every time.
If it is.. that may be a big clue.

The issue now occurs about every 8 minutes now. I added 2 more fans thinking that it might be a temperature issue but that made no difference.
I am now in the process of trying to convert a DM3200 mainboard to a DM4800 mainboard. It can be with the Debug version of TMcompanion, I have not been able to find that so far. It's looking like I am going to have to swap the DM4800 rom over to the DM3200 board. I have the skill and a smd workstation but would much rather flash the rom instead. The service manual has all the details for the procedure.

Reactions: mixerizer
I completed the conversion of a DM3200 mainboard to a DM4800.
I moved the rom from the DM4800 board to Dm3200 board.
It seems to work now. I had it own for about two hours without issue.

TOTAL LEGEND!

Please share more info with us - would be fascinated by a write up.

I figured you would have to swap out the -4800’s ROM chip from the bad mainboard into the replacement -3200 mainboard, as being easier than trying to track down the -debug software. But it would be great if we could find that -debug software for users in need.

You are the first person I know to succeed at this process (but I’m sure there have been others), very well done!

Reactions: Peter Batah
I completed the conversion of a DM3200 mainboard to a DM4800.
I moved the rom from the DM4800 board to Dm3200 board.
It seems to work now. I had it own for about two hours without issue.
Bravo! That was a brave move and it appears that your persistence paid off. Keep us posted.

I have not been able to get the TMCompanion-Debug software yet. I was told the Tascam parts department would be able to provide it by a Tascam repair center. The person at the parts department is out of the office till next week.
Since I have a smd workstation and 40 years experience I decided to dive in and move the rom from the defective DM4800 board to the good DM3200 board. It isn't terribly difficult if you have the tools. I had to use a large lighted magnifying glass in order to see what I was doing. I believe anyone who has excellent soldering skills could do this without a smd workstation. Youtube has a lot of good videos showing how to solder and desolder smd components. Below is a link to another users story on how he accomplished the task.

Ah right! NickC, another legend :D

Decent soldering skills. You can count me out

Yeah I had to convert a DM3200 to a DM4800 mainboard at one point. I actually ended up buying a spare DM3200 for parts and had a local phone repair guy swap the chips. Would've been nice to have this -debug software haha, would've made things a lot easier. Well done!

Reactions: Peter Batah

New threads

Staff online

Members online