Complete newbie

Eifion

From
Wales , United Kingdom
Gear owned
Dm3200
Hi there ,
I've come from the mix in the box school , I've just acquired a dm3200 , and though I am computer savvy I am left puzzled..the desk had a firewire card fitted and I know was working , but came with no discs , documentation etc..is there a procedure required to connect up to the computer , obviously it's not just a plug and play protocol.. the computer is not recognising the dm3200 , running Windows 10 . Is there a specific driver to be installed, any help would be appreciated
Best regards

Reactions: mixerizer
@Eifion Hello and welcome aboard. The initial setup and general understanding of how audio flows in and out of the DM-3200 / 4800 can seem daunting at first. We were all in your exact position at some point. I will suggest that you begin in the "Documentation and Manuals" section located here

Documentation and Manual

We will all do our best to get you on your way. Please remember to provide us with as much information as possible. This includes but not limited to your computers specifications eg, O/S, firewire card(s), etc.

Cheers for the reply Peter...
I'm sure I'll work it out , I'll be OK once I'm in and up and running , I think maybe I've downloaded wrong drivers or something , I know the firewire in computer has right driver as I've used the presonus firestudio with it..I was just hoping to plug in and computer would detect the dm3200....the kit looks great and I can't wait to dive in with a bit of trial and error....if I can get over this first hurdle it's onwards and upwards
Thank you again peter for the reply and advice

@Eifion No worries. I'm sure that you will be up and running in no time. There is somewhat of a learning curve (like anything else of course) But, once you wrap your head around the signal flow (routing) things will become much clearer. In the meantime feel free to peruse this folder that I am sharing with you:

DM-3200 Misc Files

Reactions: mixerizer
Yes, you need to install drivers. In fact, there will be several things you will want to install. I was just going to add that the folder Peter shared may seem overwhelming, but it's not as complicated as it looks. He has done a great job of collecting multiple versions of the Mac, PC, and Mixer firmware/software.

The computer software versions sort of match the mixer firmware versions. You need to first find a version of the IF-FW DMMKII software that works well with both your computer and the Tascam firewire card firmware (inside the mixer). That will get audio in and out of the computer which is a good place to start.

Last edited:
@Rockum Thank you for chiming in R and for providing a lot more clarity and assistance that I should have offered up in my response. Much appreciated

Cheers Rockum and Peter for your help.
I'm going through things now.One thing and I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly..I am using the firewire to use the dm3200 as an interface to get into the computer ,
To use as a control surface I use a USB cable , is this correct or can I control all via firewire...so much info to get through
Best regards
Eifion

@Eifion I am glad to hear that things are moving along nicely for you. Yes you definitely need to use a USB cable if you wish to use the DM as a control surface. Please refresh my memory. What DAW will you be using with your DM

@Eifion The setup and configuration is pretty straightforward across most DAWS. I use it with Cubase 13 Pro. But, have used it with Pro Tools and Logic as well. If you have difficulty I can always install Studio One and guide you through the setup

New threads

Members online

No members online now.