2488 Neo "Can't do this in transport " Error message

Mypur

Gear owned
Tascam 2488Neo
Portastudio 2488 Neo "Can't do this in transport. Stop the transport press exit" message. I press exit it does not stop the transport. I press stop, it does not get me out of transport. The round spin knob does nothing. I can playback nothing. I can't shut power down or I will lose the track. How do I get out of transport mode? Now what?

Though I spent mannnny years running a series of 2488's, I've now been on an OG DP-32 for a few years.
But I do recall seeing this message many times. It was always when attempting any operation that requires the transport to be stopped to execute (and there are many).
IIRC, you must [Exit] the error message before your transport (Stop) button (or any other control) will work.
If it's not working, chances are that your exit button's function is degrading, as is painfully common on '88's. There's maaany threads on the forum here addressing that, but basically, you'll probably wanna look into some DeOxit.
Good luck -

Shredd,

Thank you. I keep pressing the exit button and it clears the error screen but sadly transport is not stopped as nothing works, playback, the spinner dial, the shut down button. After I exit, I press play and it does nothing but blinks the green light at me. Fristrating. I can't save and shut down. If I power off, I feel I might loose all the work.

Hm! That’s pretty b-zarre all right.
Curious: what IS showing on the display once you've exited out of the error-message screen?

Another flailing suggestion: it’s possible your 88’s firmware is scrambled/corrupted; reinstalling it (using latest available version of course) might be a starting point…though if you have ‘bad’/malfunctioning buttons, that’s unlikely to resolve it.
And yes, you’re probably gonna lose any unsaved/un-backed-up work :cry:.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.