Model 24 weird panning on Main channel

rafaqf

Gear owned
Model 24
Hi everyone. I own a model 24 and have been running this issue since I bought it.

If I play a mono signal from my DAW, Ableton in this case, and record the output of the Main 23/24 channel outputs to a stereo track again in the DAW, it always has a bit of panning to the left. This is horrible when recording a mix from the DAW to a stereo track because it always has this little +-0.8 dBs on the left channel.

Any ideas what can cause this? My firmware is updated. I'm using a Mac laptop.

Thanks a lot in advance for your time.

Rafa

I have the same issue on the Model 12 but with the right channel with pc audio going into 1/2 but main out right channel is about +2 compared to the left.

Welcome to the forum.

I don't own one of these front-of-house mixers, but troubleshooting is a generic process of elimination.

Start by feeding a steady state tone (e.g., from a keyboard, guitar, or tone generator) directly to the mixer channel input (stand-alone, no computer/D.A.W. physically connected), one channel at a time, and assess the result in the stereo image of the mixer's recorded signal and the stereo output meters. Use three tones (bass, midrange, treble) for testing.

(A) If any imbalance occurs in the mixer operating stand-alone, one or more user-adjustable setting or level adjustment controls in the signal chain or the monitor chain is the likely cause.

(B) If, when tested, the stand-alone mixer performs as expected, then the computer/D.A.W. becomes suspect, requiring a separate set of troubleshooting steps. Apply similar testing and analysis to the computer/D.A.W.

(C) If, when tested, the computer/D.A.W. performs as expected, then a likely reason for the hybrid mixer/computer/D.A.W. setup could be a cheap USB connector cable; using a USB hub; or both.

Last edited:
Reactions: Max Relic and -mjk-
Hey Mark, thanks for your help!

Now that you mention the USB cable, I had to use a different cable that the one coming with the mixer, and that saved me from lots of clicks and pops when using it. I’ll check the cable again.

It also happens when I reproduce music using the Bluetooth channel, if I record it to the DAW, there also a difference between left and right.

I’ll also check to use it with gear like synths or guits.

Thanks again, will post an update soon.

Forgot to mention, when using the Bluetooth stereo channel, if I record that one to the DAW, the signal (stereo converted to mono from the Spotify app) is straight, it’s mono, both channels get the same volume. If the main output 23/24 is recorded, there’s a difference between channels. That was my final testing to suspect about the main output.

Anyway, will check the cable again.

I changed the USB cable and the issue remains.

Also for testing, it already fails on the first step (A). I took a microphone, on a single mono channel, and I can already see that the left meter gets higher at louder levels than the right one. There’s something on the main output channels, 23/24 that is reducing or increasing slightly one of the outputs.

Any idea what can that be? Could it just be a defect on the mixer? I sent it to repair to my dealer some months ago, but they didn’t find anything. I also think they didn’t really understand what the real problem was.

Thanks a lot for your help.

@Mark Richards

@rafaqf, the left meter gets higher at louder levels than the right one.
Do you mean the meter on the mixer?

Uncalibrated pan controls do sometimes present an issue. If the control is off you can touch up the balance between L/R with the knob and it really doesn't matter. Annoying somewhat, but unless it's way off that shouldn't present a problem using it.

Reactions: Mark Richards
...one or more user-adjustable setting or level adjustment controls in the signal chain or the monitor chain is the likely cause...
The suggestion by mj (input channel pan circuit) is a good possibility since you're only sending a single channel mono source to the stereo bus.

But I'm not sure that would cause "...the left meter gets higher at louder levels than the right one."

If you want to make a thorough test:

With the unit disconnected from the computer, using a consistent source signal level sent only to one side of the stereo bus, and with all input level controls & output faders at 0dBFS, test for the L&R stereo channels' unity gain:
Channel 1 input signal ----->channel meter ------->left channel stereo output meter: s/b same
Channel 1 input signal ----->channel meter ------->right channel stereo output meter: s/b same

Repeating the test using the Channel 1 pan knob centered should show equal levels on the stereo output meters.

If not, then to confirm the pan circuit as the cause, you'll need to refer to the block diagram in your owner manual to see if any FX, Aux, or Sub channels return to the MAIN L/R stereo bus and rule those out as the cause.

Leaving the original test settings unchanged, continue the test by setting each FX, Aux or Sub circuit that returns to the MAIN L/R stereo bus to 'off/on/off' one at a time and observe the impact on the stereo bus meters.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.