Tascam DM 4800 or Tascam US 2400?

DAVIDBEA

Gear owned
Tascam dm 4800
Hi, I have the possibility to buy a Tascam DM 4800 for 100 euros more than a Tascam US 2400.

I want a desk with faders for recording with Logic, I can't stand recording and mixing with a mouse and a screen.
The DM works as a Daw Controller and many other things. For 100 euros more... is it worth it?

Thank you!

Reactions: traceoflife
Hi David:

Sweet situation!

The DM is a digital mixer as well as a controller, and it does everything the US-2400 does to the best of my knowledge.

However it is also a LOT more complex, and since it functions as a large-format digital mixer, there is a steeper learning curve, a much bigger set of space and power requirements and much more that could potentially go wrong as it further ages.

However if I were in the same situation, I would absolutely grab the Dm-4800 - I know how to use a 4800, I’m aware of the risks of using older gear, and the mixing and automation on the DM-4800 is for me, more fun than DAW recording. It also works great as a controller in midi time sync with my Logic DAWs and my x-48 hard disk recorder.

Good luck w ur acquisition, whichever you choose!

Reactions: Peter Batah
Awesome! Make sure u verify it is working properly - if possible, run the diagnostic tests on it before you buy.

Check the service manual for details - in short, you power up the mixer while holding down SHIFT and OUTPUT ASSIGN 1 and 2 buttons.

I am gonna love digging into it, Rockum - your DMote CTRLR software runs w both of my DMs.

Reactions: Peter Batah
make sure it has the IF-FW/Dm MkII firewire card for DAW connection and your computer should have the VIA chipset firewire card too. You can get the cards for the PC cheap. Also, the

IF-AN/DM 8-channel Analog Expansion Card is a must if you wish to output for DOLBY ATMOS​

New threads

Members online

No members online now.