SOLVED: No Ableton Audio Source in Windows?

nobody

Gear owned
TASCAM Model 12
Hello all. I'm having a bit of trouble with the interaction between the Model 12 and the way that its ASIO driver works with Windows and Ableton. I've narrowed things down to the point where I believe that my main problem is Ableton audio appears to be bypassing Windows altogether. What I mean by that is I am successfully able to run sound (both in and out) through the mixer using the model mixer ASIO drivers but Ableton (and only Ableton!) does not appear in Windows' sound settings at all. Ableton does not show up in the Windows volume mixer or any other sound setting menus. It acts independently of any Windows commands/volume settings and I must use the physical controls on the board to modify the audio output from Ableton. What's really strange to me about this is that other audio sources (Spotify, Firefox, Windows Media Player, etc...) do show up in Windows' sound settings but are routed through the board via the model mixer ASIO and they behave normally. This is only a problem because I need to be able to capture the Ableton audio output with additional Windows programs. Since Windows doesn't see Ableton's audio when using the Model 12 drivers, the other programs can't either.

Workarounds that I already know of are:
* Running the mixer in DAW mode - loses the model mixer ASIO functionality (why?)
* Using an alternative ASIO - reduces the mixer's functionality, audio pops and crackles, audio routing in both directions does not work
* Using something like VBCable to create a virtual middleman that can take the audio from Ableton as a virtual source - Windows can't find Ableton, so this program can't either. Is there a way for Ableton to find this program?

Questions:
* Is there a known fix for this issue?
* Is this issue Ableton specific/do other DAWs not have this weird problem?
* Any additional ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Thought I'd update as I've solved this problem.

This is a known issue with most device-specific ASIO drivers for all DAWs. There is an old reddit post of about two years ago with details on how to solve this using the Voxengo Recorder VST2 plugin. This plugin requires something like jBridge which is not free :( to bring in the plugin to Ableton. There is notable latency between the I/O of the mixer and the MME audio output from Voxengo of about 100-200 ms, so if you're syncing to a camera you will need to add video delay. Playing with buffer size and number along with output bit depth in Voxengo doesn't change much.

Reactions: Max Relic and -mjk-
Thanks for the followup post.

New threads

Members online