Recording an Orchestra with DR-05X

PSOMusic

Gear owned
DR-05X
Hi everyone. My first time posting. I was hoping that I might get some advice on how to setup my DR-05X to record an orchestra.

I envisage the DR-05X will be about 30 ft away from the orchestra, but as I play in the orchestra I will have to set it recording and leave it.

In I/O setting, I set "Level Mode" to "Auto" but when I played back the recording later, when the orchestra played a certain loud piece (with a loud note at the beginning) it deafened me.

Are there any recommended settings I should use?

I've also set it to record in WAV 24bit; 96K.

Thank in advance.

Matt

Welcome to the forums., Matt.

What type of orchestra - classical, swing, jazz, etc?
What type of venue?

I'm not familiar with the DR05x, but in general:

I probably wouldn't use "Auto Level" to capture a musical performance.

Using 24/96 is a good choice. It will provide enough headroom to accomodate a wide dynamic range.

If you can do so, I would:
* Set the onboard mics to an x/y configuration;

* Make the distance from the orchestra sufficient for the recording level, when set manually, to range between -20 and -12dBFS on the stereo meter, without triggering the peak signal overload warning light (a trial & error balancing process - the closer to the orchestra, the less room ambiance and vice versa - walk the room and use your ears to find the sweet spot);

* If signal peaking can't be controlled with placement and level setting, use a limiter setting as a last resort.

Hope this helps. Please come back and let us know how it turned out.

Last edited:
Hi. Many thanks for your reply.

It's a Symphony Orchestra, but we're playing a programme of music from Movies and Musicals.

It's going to be in a modern church setting, so no high roof.

The mics are fixed so I'm stuck in a Y configuration to the unit.

I'm just trying to think of distances off the top of my head, but it will be nearly 20ft away, maybe more. My problem is I don't want my tripod anywhere near the audience, and I'm hoping to put it in the choir stalls out of the way, which is on the left of the orchestra if you are sitting in the audience.

I'll see what I can do in rehearsal. We have one tomorrow, so I'll see if I can adjust some settings.

Can I upload a sound file here to give you an idea of what happened last week when we started playing a piece?

Many thanks

Matt

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Richards
Matt, since it's a symphony orchestra, because the mics are omnidirectional, I might start by placing the unit on a mic stand about three feet behind and just a bit higher than the conductor's head.

The further off center, and further back you place the mics, the more likely the performance recording will be less than optimal. So your production objective becomes an important factor.

Audio files must be uploaded to a third party hosting site (google drive, soundcloud, etc.) and a link to the file posted here.

Last edited:
I have an almost 7ft high tripod I can attach it to so I can get it up very high. I really do have to have a look at where I can place everything, so I may have limited options. I'll be able to see the church inside on Wednesday.

That was with the DR-05X on a small tabletop tripod on a stage behind the cellos and at the brass end.

PLEASE NOTE - THE START OF PHANTOM IS VERY LOUD!

That's with auto level setting. It was a rehearsal so it's not perfect.

I also added some reverb.

Thanks

Matt