Punch in on Model 12

GlennM

Gear owned
Model 12
Greetings,
From reading, I am aware that I can use the 12's console buttons or a properly configured foot switch to perform an audio punch in/out. However, there are things I do not yet know. If you can help, I appreciate it. Consider this example:
I previously record a musical passage. At some point, I played wrong notes. During MTR playback, I can monitor the playback. Too, I can also play along with this previously recorded passage without changing it.

1. While listening to and playing along with the MTR playback, can I use the foot switch to punch in and out a correction in real time? I wish to achieve is a seamless correction for misplayed notes without affecting any other data before or after the punched in edit.
2. If this is possible, there must be no "glitch" of silence (lag) artifact introduced as a result of punching in or out.

My goal is to create a corrected musical passage on a channel, free of errors when using a punch in/out method. This corrective measure eliminates the necessity to re-record an entire musical etude.

Please advise.
GlennM

@GlennM Welcome to the forum.
1. You can use the footswitch to punch in/out and in general it's the recommended method for a musician.
2. The result of punch recording depends on many factors including playing technique (legato or staccato), overlapped notes, reverb tail, timing and dynamics of execution and timing of punch in/out itself.
All of these aspects are peculiar of the recording you are working on and can't be predicted in abstract, what I can say is that with some practice it's possible to achieve smooth transitions and practically imperceptible substitution of wrong parts.

The Model 12 offer automatic and manual punch options with selectable pre-roll, it means one may choose to operate completely hands-free and focus on the musical performance instead of thinking to press the footswitch at the right time. Anyway the Undo function is the best safety net against ruining an already great recording.

There are several Youtube tutorials about punch recording, some examples:

Tascam Model 24 Manual Punch In / Out Real Time Demo
Tascam Model 24 Manual Punch In
Tascam Model 16 My Way - Part 5 - Multi take recording & punch in & out
Punching In and Out on the TASCAM Model 12/16/24

Last edited:
Reactions: Max Relic
Thank you Max and MJK for a prompt and understandable reply.Appreciated! Now, lets assume the menu choices have been correctly set for using a punch in pedal.. My confusions is these:
(1) On the console, is the track to be modified set to "Armed"?
(2) Do I use "Play" or "Record" to start the modification (editing) to the track?
(3) Is the channel selector slider switch supposed to be Live or MTR for the punch in?
(4) Does having the channel armed during playback result in the entire channel being erased?
(5) If two channels are armed such as a guitar and a piano track and punch in used, will both the guitar and piano tracks be changed? If so, when would arming more than one track ever be a good idea when punching in?

1. Yes. The channel/track to be "corrected" must be record enabled (armed).
2. Press Play to start; pressing the Rec button will overwrite the entire track, if you do just stop recording and use Undo (highlighted in the LCD).
3. IIRC leave it on MTR
4. No, if the recorder is really in playback mode and not recording; see 2 above.
5. any mixer channel which is record enabled will record (overwrite) on its own track when Rec (Rec button in the transoport section) or Punch is activated.
It's a user choice to decide when one or more tracks need to be recorded or re-recorded; simply put, arm only when you want to write data on a track.
Undo is your best friend when experimenting.

Reactions: -mjk-
Thanks again for such timely responses. This forum is happening!

What you want to do is technically called a "rolling punch-in." It's ancient analog tape terminology. That's where you "roll tape" by pressing Play to begin the process. While the song is playing (the "tape" is "rolling") you then press record and initiate the punch-in process. You've punched in while "rolling" so to speak.

If your machine is designed in such a manner, it's also possible to do a "rolling punch out" where one simply presses the Play button to disengage the record function but without stopping the playback. The DP series can do this but I can't tell you if any of the Model series can. I would expect they can though.

@-mjk-, the Models can do rolling punch in/out like old tape multitrack recorders, but without the hassle of erase heads, cross-modulation, tape crunch, wobble or any other annoyance that could afflict magnetic tapes. In addition it's possible to set punch in/out points for automated operation. Way better than my 244 Portastudio.

• Love
Again, I am in your debt. MJK, you mention a 244 tape deck. I've a 234. Did you ever get into it to replace the belts? If so, where did you source the belts, and secondly, is i worth the effort in today's world of home recording?

I replaced belts, pinch roller and that sort of brake tires... they were literally liquified after 30+ years. All components are available on Ebay for not much money. It's up to you if it's worth the effort of maintaining your recorder: some people love the sound of lo-fi cassette tape recording, in my case I just wanted to listen to old 4-track recordings and keep my equipment in good working order.

There are good tutorials on Youtube.

Again, I am in your debt. MJK, you mention a 244 tape deck.
Oh that was Max. I mostly used the 3M M-79, Studer A-80 and I have a Tascam 3440 that I don't currently use.

• Love

New threads

Members online

No members online now.