Plugins as insert on Stereo Bus

Bob Jonezon

Gear owned
DM-3200
I've been settling in on my mixing workflow in the DM4800, bringing all the DAW returns in via FW, and spreading across the board.

Loving the automation engine in the DM. I'm not enamoured with the built in compressor in the stereo bus, and wanted to try to figure out how to patch in a plug in from the DAW on the stereo bus.

What I've done is set up a stereo insert on the stereo bus using SLOT1-23 and SLOT1-24 as the sends / returns. SLOT1 is my IF-FW card.

In the DAW I set up a stereo input and output pair using CH23&24 on the IF-FW. Assign that input and output to a stereo track in the DAW, and add the compressor plugin as an insert, making sure monitoring is enabled on that track.

And viola! I've got my favorite bus compressor plug running as an insert in the DM.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone is looking to do something similar.

Familiar trick - I did this for the EQ that was missing on the stereo bus. I like DM4800 compressor just fine, but there was no EQ. Continued mixing success.

Thanks for sharing. Sounds handy.

Hi Bob can you write here on the forum step by step process of how to set up a stereo insert on the stereo bus using SLOT1-23 and SLOT1-24 as the sends / returns. SLOT1 as IF-FW card. Thanks

Reactions: Jeff

New threads

Members online

No members online now.