Soundaholic
From
Cagliari, Italy
Gear owned
Portastudio 244, Model 12
On 10th July Tascam anticipated the launch of a new product on their socials:

TASCAM
·
7 days until we unveil a brand new product…
With our most advanced bus processing features yet,
you’ll have the control you need for any scenario 🎛️
Can you guess what’s coming? 🔍
#TASCAM #ProAudio #Mixing

1721049136258.png

Followed by this yesterday

TASCAM
·
Can you guess what's on the horizon? This sneak peek’s just a hint of the cutting-edge connectivity and routing capabilities.
Stay tuned for more 👀
#TASCAM #AudioGear #ProAudio
1721049352111.png

and this today

TASCAM

We’re getting closer to even adding more versatility with that same unbeatable analog sound. The future of your pro audio setup is almost here…
What do you think it is? 🤔
#TASCAM #Mixing #NewReleas
1721049460169.png

Clearly it's a new studio console. Hope it's 32 channel (at least) and has some form of automation.

Official announce of the TASCAM Model 2400 (link to product page)

TASCAM
·
24 channels, one mixer to master your live sound and recording — meet the TASCAM Model 2400.
The Model 2400 equips you with 24 channels of warm analog sound, professional routing, and comprehensive mixing capabilities, making it a versatile solution for stage and studio. And with onboard 24-track recording direct to SD card media, a USB audio interface for multitrack recording and playback, and advanced MIDI functionality, the Model 2400 will make you re-think what you can do with a live mixing console. #TASCAM #Model2400 #LaunchDay
1721204905649.png
1721205655929.png

1721205843903.png

Last edited:
Yay for Tascam for pursuing new releases/updating/expanding offerings. Clearly this is an "evolution" of the Model24.

I checked out the product page and perused...that said, I didn't do a really deep-dive/analysis of comparing it to what appears to be its' ancestor, the Model24. It doesn't help that I have no need for live-mixing, and little to no interest in DAW's or interfacing with one. I'm a full PortaStudio/DP-xx guy.

What I'm seeing as the most obvious evolution is the expansion of connectivity and routing capabilities/options.
I know there's a lot of Modelxx-heads here...any of youse done a head-to-head of the new unit compared to existing Modelxx's? I'd be curious...and maybe bolster my hopes for a PortaStudio/DP evolution that expanded/improved ITS' features/capabilities, and geared toward more developed studio capabilities. Things like 12, preferably 16, inputs; an HDMI or video-out to employ a computer monitor for display; PUT MIDI BACK!!!; yadayada...

EDIT I also seem to recall that only the Model12 is a truly digital mixer; the 16/24's are analog...but this 2400 controls a DAW? Did the 24 do that too? 🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: shredd
A brief review of the comparison chart @Mark Richards linked to confirms my idiot-assessment; big diff's:
Increased/improved routing/connectivity - more busses, AUX's, inserts
DAW control
MIDI
The parametric EQ is nice. ALL EQ's should be parametric! It's idiotic to think that some pre-selected, generic EQ profile will serve even a portion of a user's needs...and I'd argue that the design/hardware requirements needed to provide parametric capability are a minimal departure from a fixed-EQ design. I loved that even my old-school 2488's had parametric EQ capability, and I certainly love it in my OG DP-32!!!:cool:

Last edited:
@shredd more inserts, switchable rec/send point, comp+eq bypass, 5 aux sends (3 post, 1 pre/post, 1 fx), 4 stereo subgroups with mutes and AFL, master bus processor with insert, MIDI clock generator and the infamous Track Swap function that for some obscure reason they didn't release to the Model 16 and 24. Is it enough? Well, at 14 kg it's more substantial than the Model 24 (is it a quality?) :)
"DAW control" is very limited, only transport commands are transmitted.

Reactions: shredd
Is it enough?
And nearly twice as expensive (US$1999, whereas the M24 has been US$1199)...
Love the new features...and of course they'd up the price...I surez'hail would pay a bunch more for a next-gen DP-32 with some of the features I've pined for...
But unless a US$2000 M24 gets delivered to my door by a bikini-clad and slightly toasted Katy Perry, I'd have a hard time going for it...😁

Is this now completely digital, like the model 12?

The price increase is a bit too steep for me (compared to Model 24) - I am considering the old model 24 to get more inputs than my DP32. But then to continue the mixing/mastering on the DP32.

What the Model 24 should have been at release.

Clearly it's a new studio console. Hope it's 32 channel (at least) and has some form of automation.
My wishful thinking didn't age well. At least there is a Control Room section. But for that price, there are competing consoles that do more for not so much more money.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.