Model 12 stereo inputs

fiziks

Gear owned
Tascam Model 12
I have a Yamaha YC88 with stereo out that I am trying to hook up to my Model 12. When I put one XLR cable into input 7 and a TRS cable into input 8 (L/R correspondingly on the keyboard), the input signal on channel 8 is extremely low. Like maybe -30 or 40 dB compared to the -6 on channel 7. I looked at the manual to see what type of cables I should use, and it just says channel 8 is a "Stereo line input" does that mean that the TRS cable should carry both channels, or is it just a TS input? I am very confused.

Welcome to the forum. The XLRs from the Yamaha are balanced, so each of these should be plugged into a balanced mono input on the Model 12.
If you plug either into a stereo input socket, the hot and cold mono signals of the mono signal will be treated as left and right signals in the Tascam, so this will not be stereo.
I'm not familiar with the Model 12 input options, but the Yamaha also has unbalanced 1/4" jack outputs if that helps.

@fiziks, the Yamaha YC88 has both L/R 1/4" Unbalanced (TS or mono jacks) and L/R XLR Balanced outputs. The ouput nominal level isn't specified but I think it's safe to assume it's either -10dB (consumer) or +4dB (pro).
Independently from the output type (1/4" TS or XLR) you decide to use, you must connect them to the Model 12 inputs using an identical pair of audio cables.

In general, mixer inputs use a sort of dimensional coding in order to inform the user about their different use case: XLR are usually microphone inputs with higher gain range than 1/4" TRS which are usually line inputs (very generally speaking here, it's the designer choice if 1/4" jacks are balanced mono, unbalanced stereo, normalized mono/stereo...).

On the Model 12, stereo channels 7/8 and 9/10 have both a pair of XLR Combo (coaxial XLR + 1/4" Balanced jack) + 1/4" TRS Balanced jack.
Without going too deep, you just have to connect your keyboard to the Model 12 1/4" sockets using a pair of:
- unbalanced TS (Tip/Sleeve, mono) to unbalanced TS (mono) when using the YC88 1/4" outputs;
- balanced XLR to balanced TRS (Tip/Ring/Sleeve, stereo) when using the YC88 XLR outputs.

As a side note, when a unbalanced cable is plugged into a balanced input the signal may be attenuated due to internal auto-balance circuitry (I guess in the -3/-6 dB range).
Let us know if it solves your issue.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.