myrideisa

From
Silvis, Illinois
Gear owned
DM-4800
DM-4800. (for 10 yrs)
MacOS 10.14.6 (Maverick)
Pro Tools 2021.12.0

I've been a follower of this page for years. Gotten some help. Everything has been working beautifully for awhile. Recording projects have been going well. But recently...under the gun trying to get projects done as quickly as I can I've noticed more clearly of a bottleneck that is not entirely the DM' s fault. I record drums into a QSC TouchMix 30 and then transfer those into Pro Tools via a free app from QSC. If you think about this it is so inefficient. Can't set up templates in Pro Tools. Have to name every drum track in Pro Tools every time. Can't punch-in and punch-out when recording drums. OMG it's driving me nuts. But...it works if I can perfectly record a track for however long the song is. More often than not I don't. I don't have room in my studio for a bulky 16 or 24 channel snake either. The drums sit 20' away from the console. I run 17 mics and occasionally more inputs needed for an Octapad or whatever. It's become crazy that I'm operating this way. I'm not particularly brilliant around computers like a lot of you guys are and I truly hate my life if I'm trying to diagnose an issue that I ultimately can't figure out without help. That part takes time when I much rather would be making music. SO....my beloved DM-4800 has been put up for sale. And frankly I don't know if it will ever sell. I've been threatening to haul it to the electronics ditch but I don't know if I could really do that. The display has been replaced by the LED system from that guy in England (?). Everything works great except the flow but something has to change. I have to upgrade my OS because now I can't access my bank because of the old browser.

SO...the DM is up on REVERB.COM for $950 as of 2 days ago. I'm replacing with the Midas 32M with stage box. I'm also getting the Mac-Mini M2 Pro. Once I have everything set up my throughput will increase very dramatically. I'm lucky to have a supportive wife and resources to pull this off. Thanks everyone.

I feel yo payne…
I was a 2488xxx guru for ages n ages - I got more out of my musical endeavors with it than at any other point - despite after 15 years I still hadn’t completely plumbed its depth (I thought “MIDI” was how NASA auto-piloted the space shuttle).
And when I got an O/G DP-32 (a very comfortable step from the 2488’s) I found it really opened up my workflow - including integrating the MIDI.
So after a couple of years of floundering between them, the ‘neo was officially retired…but I miss the ol’ girl!
Perhaps in a couple more lifetimes, I’ll be born again as a devoted DAW-hawr and have A.I. do all the work for me, so I can lie around drooling down my chin as the recordings it makes as me sell millions…:p

For not much difference, you could have got the WING and with 2 Dante cards, have 96 channels of audio from the DAW. That's 48 stereo console channels, because the WING is stereo. I am going to do that myself next month.

I looked at the Wing. Way more than what I want or need….as is the Midas to an extent. I’ll never use more than 32 tracks. I average about 22 …but you never know. With my current computer even 22 is a stretch. I’ve been with the same sales rep at Sweetwater for 20 yrs and with no hesitation he said Midas. I’m not saying he’s ever wrong but it’s probably few and far between. I don’t think either deck would be a mistake but the final consideration for me is how it looks. I just can picture more easily the Midas in my studio. Much success to you and let’s not forget fun.

Reactions: -mjk-
My point is, he said "Midas" without any hesitation so you are spending nearly the same money as a WING, but you are getting a designer X32. The X32 is identical (except the mic pres). I own the X32 because I decided the M32 wasn't worth it. Get the X32 and save yourself some money.

mjk:
Perhaps I am wrong ,but isn't the Midas M32 capable of 96k where nether the X32 or the Wing go above 48k?

Reactions: -mjk-
None of those 3 consoles you have named can operate at 96 kHz. So now you know why I referred to the M32 as "a designer X32" because that’s exactly what it is. You’re paying for the form factor and the looks. You may also notice that the price is significantly cheaper at Thomann.

Well anther case where a company makes promises then never implements them. Not a deal breaker for live sound,but for post production a total fail.

Not a deal breaker for live sound, but for post production a total fail.

Please feel free to expound on that. I would like to know where production at 24 bit/48kHz has led to a total failure.

The motion picture industry has a standard of 24 bit, 48 kHz for a good reason. For one thing, at 96 kHz, your channel count get divided by 2. There is no advantage to ever go beyond 48 kHz and that was said by people who are a lot smarter than I am. The difference is inaudible, except for intermodulation artifacts. When I used to service recording studios way back when (including re-capping and re-chipping vintage analog consoles) we purposefully bandpassed the audio so it would not pass RF. If you do the math, 96 kHz allows spurious RF signals to mix with audio. Not a good thing. IMD is horrible, actually. There is no reason to go beyond 22 kHz with audio processing. Ever.

Most post work is done at 96k, some even request higher sample rates. If I could work at 48k I might ,but here in the states that's the way it is. I do not want to high jack the post with sample rate discussions as much has been written for and against.
Everyone has their opinion, however It is just not good business to argue with a client.
A good thing about the DM3200/4800 is that at 96k the channel count remains the same as at 48k (not divided by two).

Last edited:
It does appear that the M32 can do 96k

faKtNsN.png

They promised that for the X32 too.

myrideisa:
Congratulations you sold that fast. Good luck with the new set-up!

Reactions: mixerizer

At around the 30 minute mark and again at the 40 minute mark Bob makes the point I was trying to make.

Last edited:
Reactions: mixerizer

New threads

Members online