Success...got the DM4800 working on Big Sur

ManoucheTunes

From
Las Vegas, NV
Gear owned
DM-4800, MU-1000, Argosy
Finally, after two weeks, I got my DM4800 working on Big Sur. Disabling SIP and Gatekeeper. I only copied the Firewire kext from High Sierra in Library/Extensions after Codesigning. I followed those instructions: https://www.tascamforums.com/threads/anybody-using-the-new-mac-os-catalina.7187/page-2?_params=Array. Reboot Computer and DM4800. I use a cheap FW PCI Card with TI-Chip. No need to connect via TB. Works fine with the DM. USB and MIDI work perfectly too over 3 Unitor 8 MKII.
Works on Cubase11 Pro, PT, Ableton 11, Logic 10.7.2, and Studio One 5
At least I can use the DM for a while more before buying a new Mixer.

Great to see, Thank you for posting!

I don’t run the very latest OS but I’m charting a path on how to keep using the mixer in its sweet spot (digital audio hardware mixing goodness) - frankly imho DM is still the best digital mixer series.

What about TM Companion? any way to make that work? More importantly < the Mackie emulation for remote control from the DM mixer. Mac V 12 supports none of this.

Hi Bruce and folks - I've got a working alternative for some of these issues.

1. I've avoided the outdated Mac FW/TB driver issues w DM>FW>TB2>TB3>Mac by dedicating an older FW-equipped Macbook Pro w Mojave for the task. So while helpful, this shortcut was light years easier of a task than getting it all up to speed w updated drivers on OSX 12. So this Mac will likely serve as the 32tk DAW tape recorder/playback and will host TMCompanion for the mixer.

2. After limited success with Crossover and Parallels, and having a dual-boot option but preferring to keep it all on my main Mac OSX partition when I can, I've had great success reviving old apps needed to configure various music hardware by using PlayOnMac. I've found it's easiest sometimes to get an older Windows version of the app, and compile it for a Mac-compatible runtime using PlayOnMac. It's worked so far w the Axon AX-50/AX-100 editor app, and with TMCompanion. I've got it successfully running on Catalina (I don't use the newer OS'es yet, sorry!) and hope to be testing all the functions this weekend.

3. If there is a method like the above process that can address the FW, HUI and/or Mackie MCU control options, that will be next.

Last edited:
You're most welcome and good luck! PlayOnMac works on the newest OS'es I believe.

I got TMCompanion compiled and running on Mac OSX 10.15.7 w the following:
TMC Version 1.51
build 90372

I will agree with Micki, it was dead easy to get the windows version of TMCompanion working on the M1 with PlayonMac.

Reactions: mixerizer
So I followed the instructions from the link you mentioned as well as your instruction but I still can't get it to show. Can you tell me how you code signed it?

Dopo vari tentativi falliti per utilizzare il mio Tascam DM 4800 con MAC OS Big Sur seguendo le istruzioni riportate qui:
https://www.tascamforums.com/threads/anybody-using-the-new-mac-os-catalina.7187/page-2?_params=Array
sono riuscito, utilizzando un semplice programma gratuito (Kext Wizard), ad installare correttamente il file kext con i giusti permessi e.... tutto funziona a meraviglia!
Per l'esattezza ho utilizzato il link di cui sopra solo per copiare (tramite terminale) il file nella cartella Library/Extensions. Dopodiché ho utilizzato Kext Wizard per dare i giusti permessi al file appena copiato.
Sono veramente felice di non dover buttare nei rifiuti un mixer che utilizzo ormai da parecchi anni e spero che questo post possa aiutare altri utenti.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.