MKII Firewire Card repair

jamsire

Soundaholic
Gear owned
DM4800 388-8 22-2
Hi everyone!

Been a while for me posting here. Has anyone had their FW MKII Card repaired in the US? How did it go? I was able to get a used one in perfect condition, but want to repair the previous one and keep it as a backup.

Thanks!

Hi Ernie. I'd be surprised if anyone services these. What kind of damage? If it's a solder job or something mechanical, maybe that's realistic but if it's something smaller on the PCB that needs to be diagnosed, eeesh, servicing that may be near impossible. Not only that, it would probably be expensive. My suggestion is maybe find another good deal on a used one as a backup. Oh.. are you still teaching by me???

I have a few pieces w SMD-style components I have been looking to fix (in the NYC area). I have been trying different electronics shops w less important stuff to see if I find anyone particularly good. Had some good results but I’m still not sure I’ve got a solid enough rec for you yet. I have a few things this month in the repair “cycle” and if I have any promising leads I will let you know. The Firewire card is basically a PCI-Express 8x card, so rather than an audio repair place, it may be that computer repair skills (checking the capacitors, examining the teensy solder spots etc.) and the like is the skill set needed for the project.

Glad it’s for a backup and you have a working card for such a critical part of your studio. Will share if I get some good recs.

Reactions: Arjan P
Your fw chip might be failed. It’s the little one with Tsb41ab2 written on it. It can be found easily everywhere, costing less than 5 dollars. If you can find a good electrician, he can measure every bit of that card if something’s broken or causing a short.

Reactions: mixerizer

New threads

Members online