Equalizer - how to use frequencies ?

Bobbydebarbes

Gear owned
Tascam DP24
Hello,
I love my DP24 and each day i understand it better (except maybe the effect section...) but i still have a question regarding the equalizer.
There are knobs for gain for high, mid and low and i clearly see the results when i use them, but the things i don't get are frequencies....how does that work, i don't ear the sound is really affected and beyond that, frequencies don't mean anything to me...how should i turn the knobs in order to be relevant ?
Thanks for reading and helping me !
Bobby

Hi Bobby. First question is can you hear any changes at all when you turn the Gain controls? I ask this as the FX configuration is a bit quirky so need to confirm if it's actually affecting the audio. If it isn't then I've misunderstood you so ignore the following ;)

If you can hear some EQ changes, then the graphical display is a pretty nice addition to the machine as it shows what the controls do, and the EQ on/off toggle button is useful for comparing 'before & after'. The horizontal axis shows the full range of frequencies you can hear (20Hz to 20KHz for a young'un!), and the vertical axis shows the gain or cut applied to those frequencies.

If you press the EQ Flat button you can start with a clean slate. The graph is a flat line so no frequencies are boosted or reduced and you'll hear no change when you toggle the EQ on & off.

Each Gain/Freq pair of controls allows you to boost or cut a specific range of frequencies, so even without altering the Freq controls, you already have control over 3 (preset) bands of freqs. As you turn the Gains up & down you should see the bands which will be boosted or reduced as humps or dips in the graph; the Low affects the bass freqs, the High affects the treble freqs, and the Mid affects the middle.

If you turn one of the Gains up full, then turn the Freq control, you should see the hump move left or right. This shows the gain or reduction is being applied to a different band of freqs, allowing you to override the preset ranges. The amount of movement overlaps to some degree for High/Mid/Low, but you can see they are designed for their own part of the frequency range or spectrum.

There's an extra control for the Mid section which controls the width of its hump, i.e. the range of freqs affected by the Gain control.

Note the gain or reduction for any band of frequencies will only be audible if the original audio contains those frequencies. e.g. if you playback a high-frequency sound like a whistle, the Low controls won't make much difference. Vice versa if you play a bass sound and alter the High controls.

Each instrument used to create the original audio will generate sounds with certain frequency ranges - there are some charts somewhere on the web showing these in a nice graphical way. So with this information, you can tweak the Gain & Freq controls to emphasise or reduce the sounds for individual instruments and/or correct shortcomings in the recording, e.g. if the bass sounds too muddy, you could turn down the Low Gain and alter the Low Freq till you get a compromise between losing the mud and losing the feel of the music. If it sounds dull, you could increase the High Gain and adjust the Freq to add sparkle without adding too much hiss... alternatively, just twiddle till it sounds right! There's a bit more to it than that, but I'm sure there are others out there who can add their 2 cents if more info is needed.

White noise contains lots of frequencies so this can be useful for experimenting, and you may hear the EQ more easily... record yourself making a hissing sound, then try the the Mid & High controls (although this may not be so effective if your hearing is shot as it's the higher frequencies which tend to get lost first). Also try the Mid Q control - turn the Gain up first, then turn up Q to get a sharpish hump, then turn the Freq control to hear the swooshing effect as it boosts the different freq ranges.

May have completely missed your point here, but hope it helps someone :)
Phil.

Last edited:
Hi Phil,

Thanks you very much for your reply.
I am going to try respond to each point
- Yes absolutely when i turn the gain knobs i hear the changes and i very often use it in my mixes. No problem with that

....and now it is the time to thank you because i discovered the existence of the "EQ flat button" thanks to you !!! i can guarantee you that i used my tascam a lot and i read the manual several times and i had never seen that before. It is not mentionned and there is not the F1 button below etc etc...

so now that is clear and that work, i definitely the changes on the sound now that 1/ i press EQ flat 2/ turn the gain knobs 3/ turn the frequencies knobs.

Thanks 1000 times Phil, i understand now better why my drummer and mastering buddy always say that there are a lack of frequencies on my mix...

All the best,
bobby

ps: Tascam should definitely rework it's manual. The unit is great (except the effects/dynamics section) and i like it a lot, but the manual sucks

Ok Bobby, glad it helped. There's an EQ chart in this article and more info here so there's no shortage of bedtime reading :) A good monitoring system also helps to hear what you're adjusting, so good speakers, maybe some room treatment, or good headphones if that's not practical.
Agree about manual needing several re-reads; seems to be common with feature-rich gear. 400 pages for my old EMU sampler... taken years to get to grips with it! In fairness to Tascam, they do mention EQ Flat in the xxSD manuals (top-left page 38 here), but maybe you've got the CD version? Otoh there are other things it doesn't mention, like the current mixer & FX settings are all used when creating new songs (see this tip), and that files are deleted automatically from AudioDepot when importing, but it's still a great little machine for the money. Good luck with your projects.

You are right, i have the CD version that' why i think it is not written in the manual.
I'll read today the 2 links

I'll read today the 2 links about about EQ and FX.
Thanks Phil & have à nice day !

New threads

Members online

No members online now.